Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

RT Mirrors PE: Both Have a Big Problem

I just read a history paper on p.e.links4u titled "That was Then...This is Now: Celebrating PETE's Past While Facing the Challenges In Its Future," by Mike Metzler and Lynn Housner.

In tracking the history of physical education the authors noted:

"We applauded the establishment of so many quality PETE doctoral programs in the 1970s and 1980s, but today we face a crisis....Too many of the landmark PETE doctoral programs are either gone or have been reduced in size and stature. While a few new programs have started, the unavoidable reality is that we are not producing enough new PETE professors to take the place of those who retire or otherwise leave active duty."

As I read this, I could not but think the exact words could capture what has happened in RT/TR. Just reread the quote and substitute RT for PETE and I think you will see what I mean.

I am extremely concerned about the future of our profession should changes not be made to produce enough Ph.D. prepared professors with solid training in research. Without qualified individuals to research, do scholarship, and to teach, what will become of our profession?

I personally believe faculty in universities that have doctoral programs fully understand the problem -- yet these faculty do not seem to be willing to even try to strive for a solution. This is too bad. I just can't understand why these faculty are not willing to at least make an attempt to correct the situation.

I don't know what can be done, do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home