Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Prof. Broach Seeks Help with Inclusion Project

I'm passing along this from the ATRA Educators Listserve. It is from Professor Ellen Broach:

Hi All,
I am working with faculty from Special Education, Medicine, and Computer Information Systems to develop an interactive and integrated management information system that will allow parents, students, self advocates, teachers and community agencies to develop, plan and implement supports for individuals with disabilities in our area. After testing and development the system will be integrated and available for use in other communities.

The program will consist of a data base of individual’s skills and needs, interests and supports for participation in specific adult programs in our community. The program will match family’s/students input with the community information and lead to individualized output for IEP/transition meetings, program evaluation information, and aggregate data the community agencies can use to plan for the future. We are very excited about the potential this tool will have for the inclusion of recreational therapy on IEPs in our community!

To make a long story short, I am looking for assessment/educational tools that could be integrated into the system related to recreation interests and supports/training needed. I also plan on assessing barriers and supports to participation in community activity. I am going to additionally include an educational component that identifies options for recreational options that are not in our community....So, I would appreciate any information you may have on tools or adaptations of assessments that are available. I have some ideas and have examined a few resources would like more input. Thanks for your help!

Ellen Broach

Dr. Ellen Broach, CTRS
Associate Professor
University of South Alabama
Department of HPELS
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Phone: 251-461-1454
Fax: 251-460-7252

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home