Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, March 30, 2009

"Exergames" Catching On

This morning's USA Today newspaper contains a story in the health section titled "Exergames: Fit to be Tried." The artilce talks about Nintendo's Wii Fit that came out 10 months ago and has been a top seller.

Wii Fit is a video game that has yoga, strength exercises, aerobic activities and balance games using a movement-sensitive board with an on-screen trainer. Because of the popularity of Wii Fit, other companies are introducing similar fitness video games.

In my new book I discuss Wii video games and present literature on how they have been used with success in recreational therapy. But the Wii Fit had just come on the market so there were no reports on its use in RT.

I am now wondering if RTs are using Wii Fit with their clients. If you are, please do comment so we can know about what you are doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home