Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Institute of Medicine Report on Mental Health

The Institute of Medicine is composed of the very top people in health care (My wife is a member!). Its role is to serve as an adviser to the nation to improve health care.

Last month the Institute of Medicine published a report titled "Preventing Mental, Emotional, and Behavioral Disorders Among Young People: Progress and Possibilities." The report states that the prevention of mental health and substance abuse conditions among youth must be a national priority -- and, as such, should be a core element in health care reform. It goes on to discuss interventions that could reduce problem behaviors.

I have read only a summary of the complete report so I can't offer more details. I would think however that the report should be of great interest to RTs who provide care in mental health and substance abuse. The report has been endorsed by Mental Health America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home