Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Improvements to TR Processes and Techniques Book Noted

Several people have asked me how the new 6th edition of my book, Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques (Sagamore Publishing), differs from prior editions. In this post I'm providing information from the book's Preface that details changes in the new edition. This information follows:

There have been a number of changes in this edition. Chapter Two, Theories and Therapies, has been expanded to include positive psychology.

Chapter Three,Facilitation Techniques, now includes updated information to guide evidence-based practice and new segments have been added on Pilates, laughter yoga, and the use of the Wii video game systems.

Chapter Four contains a revised TR Intervention Plan developed by my colleague, Bryan McCormick.

In Chapter Five, Helping Others, the section on cultural diversity has undergone a major updating and expansion.

Chapter 7, Being a Leader, has been extensively revised and now contains a section on group processing, including debriefing.

Added to Chapter Eight has been a section on the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Heatlh (ICF).

Throughout the book, sections have been expanded. Unique elements found in earlier editions of the book have been updated. These include information on drug therapy, therapeutic communication skills, models of practice, and formulating goals and objectives. Over 150 new references appear in this sixth edition. In short, I am excited to be able to present what I believe are, by far, the best revisions ever made to this book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

It has been on my list of books to get for some time now. I can't wait to get it and read it.

Your # 1 fan,

Danny

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home