Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Macular Degeneration

Age-related Macular Degeneration is one of the leading causes of vision impairment in people over the age of 50. Because of this Lighthouse International has urged people to learn more about Macular Degeneration.

The advice to learn more about this disorder of the eyes should certainly be heeded by recreational therapists working with aging populations and RT students interested in this population.

My mother had Macular Degeneration when she was in an assisted living facility. That is when I first learned about the disorder. Many of the other residents also had Macular Degeneration and it was extremely difficult for all of them to cope with.

Lighthouse International has an excellent website on Macular Degeneration. It explains what it is, types, risk factors, guidelines for reducing it, treatment of it, and dry and wet ADM. The address is http://lighthouse.org/medical/eye-disorders/mascular-degeneration/

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have Macular Degeneration. I am 68 years old. I had it since I was 9 Years old. I run a Low Vision Support Group in Fox Lake, Wi. We meet the 1st Thursday of each month. The meetings are 1:00 Pm to 2:30 PM. We also have a execelent Blog on our Low Vision web site.
The Address is www.jimunser.com

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home