Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Publishers Should be Supported

I recently received a catalog from Idyll Arbor. Getting it reminded me that we in RT are blessed by having three publishers who regularly publish books for our profession. The other two are Sagamore Publishing, Inc. and Venture Publishing Inc.

I believe that we are fortunate to have three publishers that produce literature for students and practitioners. In case you haven't recently looked over these publishers offerings, below I have listed information that may be helpful:

Idyll Arbor can be found at http://www.idyllarbor.com
Idyll Arbor publishes and sells a number of books related to RT. One of the most recent is the Recreational Therapy Handbook of Practice: ICF-Based Diagnosis and Treatment that came out in 2007. This book, by Heather Porter and Joan burlingame covers the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) from the WHO and shows RTs how to use it.

Sagamore Publishing Inc. can be found at http://www.sagamorepub.com
Sagamore Publishing, of course, publishes Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques soon to be in its 6th edition. This is my book that I have been discussing in recent posts. Sagamore also publishes 15 other RT/TR books.

Venture Publishing Inc. can be found at http://www.venturepublish.com
Venture has about 50 RT/TR books including Austin, Dattilo, and McCormick's Conceptual Foundations for Therapeutic Recreation and Dattilo's Facilitation Techniques for Therapeutic Recreation. We used both of these books in our curriculum at IU.

It is my belief that educators need to regularly examine what textbooks are available and to adopt those that can be used to best prepare students. Educators also need to remind students of the need to build their own personal libaries -- something students often do not do. Practitioners too need to keep up with the literature of their profession by checking out the list of books published by Idyll Arbor, Sagamore, and Venture. And when purchasing books that help prepare students and direct practice you are supporting the publishers that support RT.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Sutherland said...

I will add that all three of these wonderful publishers have consistently donated books to the annual CDARTA workshop for their silent auction. I couldn't agree more that we should support them with any and all of our abilities to do so!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home