Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Research: Active Social Life Aids Memory

A recently published research study supported by the National Institute on Aging has found that for people over age 50 keeping up a busy social life may ward off memory loss in later life.

Harvard professor, Karen Ertel, the lead researcher in the study has been quoted as saying: "This adds to a body of literature that really is showing pretty strong support that social activity and engagement may have a protective effect on cognitive decline."

Of course, the study has much to say to RTs who may provide social stimulation for clients that may well help them with cognitive functioning.

The study was published in the American Journal of Public Health. Unfortunately, it is not yet available eletronically so I've only been able to read a newspaper account on the research (that appeared in today's Indianapolis Star). I'll see what I can do to find the origional reseach article when it becomes available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home