Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Resources

My wife and I recently returned from a Memoiral Day week-end trip to Dollywood where we met our daughter's family. The grandkids had a great time at Dollywood. I would recommend it to anyone as a fine place to take your kids or grandkids.

Since my return, I have worked on final touches to the 6th edition of my book, Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques. One thing I recently added to the segment on Evidence-Based Practice was a list of resources. I thought I might just pull out the portion of the book that covers EBP resources in case RT Blog readers might find it helpful. So here (below) it is!

Lee and McCormick (2002) have suggested a five-step process for implementing evidence-based practice in therapeutic recreation. The first step is to formulate clinical questions concerning the client problem. An example would be: What interventions work best with this type of client? The second step is to search for research evidence. Current textbooks, professional journals, and databases, such as MEDLINE and PsychINFO, are potential sources. Additional databases include: CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing & allied Health), a general nursing database; Ovid, a database containing a collection of health sciences databases; and RehabDATA, a library and information center focusing on disability and rehabilitation provided by the National Rehabilitation Information Center. Perhaps the best place to find systematic research reviews is the Cochrane Collaboration (www.cochrane.org). The Cambell Collaboration (http://www.cambellcollaboration.org/Index.asp) provides systematic reviews of the effects of interventions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home