Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dan Johnson Mentioned in Newspaper Article

While reading the Thanksgiving issue of the Winston-Salem Journal newspaper, an article caught my attention. It was "DRIVE: Iraq Veteran Lost Limbs but Golfs in the 90s."

The article was on Joey Bozik, a triple amputee who survived an exploding mine in Iraq, who had demonstrated his use of an accessible golf cart that helped enabled him to return to the game he loved, golf, following his injury.

It turns out the article was a follow-up to Bozik's visit to RT Professor Dan Johnson's class on accessible golf at UNC Wilmington.

It was good to read about Bozik's success with golf and to learn that Dan Johnson was promoting accessible golf with both his students at UNCW and the general public.

I first got to know Dan Johnson when we served together on the ATRA Board. He is a great guy to be around and, by the way, is an excellent golfer.

Dan is also someone who looks for ways to promote the value of RT. Reading the article reminded me that many RTs do things that are news worthy but do not always see that the media know of their work. I hope reading about this article will inspire others to gain media attention for their work in RT. Nice going Dan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home