Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, November 09, 2007

New Revolution Needed in RT

I have written about the first revolution in RT being the great growth in RT programs following WWII and the beginnings of professionalism. The second revolution in RT was when professionalism came about (See "A Third Revolution in Therapeutic Recreaiton?" in Austin, Dattilo & McCormick's Conceptual Foundations for Therapeutic Recreation published by Venture Publishing.)

These revolutions were lead by two generations of visionary individuals who established our exciting profession. Now we need a third revolution in which the profession clearly establishes its boundries -- and then rests its foundations on practice theories and research on RT's effectiveness as a clinical intervention.

Is RT to move forward to create a third revolution -- or have the efforts of those visionary professionals who established our profession been for not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home