Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

RT vs. TR -- Still an Issue

I recently had the opportunity to talk with one of the national leaders for our profession during the 1960s and 1970s. He still thinks it was a mistake for our profession (that once used the expression "recreational therapy") to have ever adopted the use of the term "therapeutic recreation." In fact, this person strongly believes that using TR, rather than RT, has retarded the growth of our profession.

Hearing this view reminded me that our profession needs to seriously examine returning to the term "recreational therapy." I might contact some past national leaders to see if they will share their views on RT vs. TR so that I may post them on the RT Blog in an effort to stimulate discussion. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home