Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May is Mental Health Month

Mental Health America of Greater Indianapolis recently sent out a reminder that May is Mental Health Month. Among the facts listed in the reminder were these:

1. There are more than 25% of American adults living with mental illness each year; they are no more prone to violence than members of the general public.

2. With proper treatment and support, most people with mental illnesses live productive lives at home in their communities.

3. Misconceptions associating violence with mental illnesses marginalizes the many people with mental illness in recovery and keeps those who need treatment from seeking the care they deserve.

I would like to add a 4th fact. That is, RTs are among the most important mental health workers and provide clients with treatment and support to help them to lead happy and productive lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home