Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Exercise Environment Important for Older Adults

An AP article has highlighted a recent research study that found that older adults (in their 60s & 70s) prefer to exercise alone or with others their age and ability levels -- rather than with young hard bodies clad in Spandex.

The researcher, Mark Beauchamp, was quoted as saying: "All this study highlights is older adults can exercise in environments that are socially supportive." Beauchamp's study will appear in the April issue of the Annals of Behavioral Medicine.

From this research, RTs should take away the understanding of the importance of the environment in motivating older adults to exercise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home