Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mental Health Problems are Common in Returning Vets

Reuters Health has reported that high rates of mental health disorders are being diagnosed among US military personnel soon after being released from duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is estimated that out of 103,788 returning veterans, 25 percent had a mental health diagnosis, and more than half of these patients had two or more distinct conditions. Those most at risk were the youngest soldiers and those with the most combat exposure, Dr. Karen H. Seal at the Veterans Administration Medical Center and associates report in the Archives of Internal Medicine (March 12, 2007).

It is likely that RTs in the VA Hospitals will be treating many of these returning vets dealing with problems in mental health. Best of success to all VA RTs in this effort. I hope that anyone in contact with these vets will let them know that they are supported and appreciated!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home