Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Waltzing to Health Research

I recently saw a newpaper article that had a headline that read "Waltzing Helps Heart-Attack Patients as Much as Using Treatmill." The article related that Italian researchers had found that waltzing was just as effective as bicycle and treadmill training in improving exercise capacity in heart-failure patients. The article went on: "Dancers also reported slightly more improvement in sleep, mood, and the ability to do hobbies, do housework and have sex than the others."

"This may be a more effective way of getting people to exercise and may be more fun than running on a treadmill" stated one cardiologist. Because it is sometimes difficult to get people with heart problems to stick with exercise programs, dancing may prove to be an enjoyable means to obtain the exercise these people need.

I'll search around to see if I can locate the origional research study. If I can, I'll report on it. In the meanwhile, RTs may wish to suggest to their clients "Let's dance!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home