Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Response to Skalko Regarding ARTA

Thom Skalko is an ATRA Past President and an ATRA Distinguished Fellow. Many of you no doubt saw Thom's comment regarding ATRA becoming ARTA. He favors the change to ARTA.

In Thom's comment he mentions it was over a decade ago when we first discussed the change to ARTA. Ironically, the name change was brought up for a vote 10 years ago at the site of this year's Annual Conference, Orlando. As I recall, the vote was over 50% in favor of the name change to the American Recreational Therapy Association (ARTA). But I believe it takes a 2/3's majority to make a name change so no change was made.

In his comment Thom suggested that I bring the ARTA name change up in Orlando at the 2006 Annual coming up in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I am now retired and will not be attending. So I hope that Thom or others will raise the issue.

And, finally, I'll buy into Thom's notion that we use American Recreational Therapy Association as our new title. While I personally favor the expression Recreation Therapy, I am glad to give in to Thom on this one and hope there will be movement toward making ATRA ARTA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home