Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 27, 2012

It Made Me Feel Good to Receive This Message!

It is not everyday that I receive a message like the one that appears below. I really appreciated receiving it -- so I wanted to share it on the RT Blog. The message came on my Facebook page from Christina Fern, who is an RT at Columbus Regional Hospital. It seems that both Christina and I have found a good home in RT.

Here is Christina's post:
"Dr. Austin, thank you for the comment. I don't know how many times I've told the story of the day that I met you, and about how after meeting with me for a short time about what I was searching for in a career and all my various interests, you told me that I had the potential to become a great Recreation Therapist. That conversation certainly stuck with me, and I've been working as a CTRS in mental health since graduating in 2006. Today, I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life. So although it's long overdue, thank you so much for your guidance at IU and all you do for our profession. I will be forever grateful to you. :)"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home