Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

M.S. as Our Entry-level Degree?

I've been impressed by any number of ideas expressed by members of the National Academy of Recreaional Therapists regarding the need to increase the numbers of Ph.D.s in RT. One is that we need to move toward requiring an M.S. degree as the entry-level degree to practice in our profession.

It makes sense that those with M.S. degrees might be more prone to move on to completing a Ph.D. -- and at the same time requiring the M.S. would put RT more in line with the requirements of sister professions, such as OT.

In recent addresses I've made in the U.S. and Canada, I've suggested that we should strive to make the M.S. our entry-level degree. Further I've suggested we set a date of 2025 to transition to the M.S. degree as our entry-level degree. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home