Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, December 02, 2011

Structured Group Activity Slows Dementia Progress

Highly structured group activity, including both motor and cognitive stimulation, has been shown to slow the progress of degenerative dementia, according to a study which appeared online in BMC Medicine. The research was conducted in 5 nursing homes where structured group activities were conducted for 2 hours a day, six days per week. A total of 10 residents at each home took part in the group activities conducted by two RNs.

I gained this information from MedPage Today. The source reference is: Graessel, E., et al (2011). Non-pharmacological, multicomponent group therapy in patients with degenerative dementia: A 12-month Randomized, Controlled Trail. BMC Med.

This study sure seems to supply empirical evidence of the value of recreational therapy group activities for persons with dementia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home