Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Music Therapy Gains Recognition

I was pleased to see an USA Today article (page 12B)this morning titled "Music Can Heal Mind, Body, Soul." The article explained how music therapy is used in the treatment of a variety of physical problems. The article contained information about the use of music therapy in the recovery of Congresswoman Giffords.

An accompanying piece listed ways music can help rewire the brain after a traumatic injury. These included: trigger memories; promote learning; elicit emotions; provide motivation; improve coordination; adn reduce stress and pain.

As I read the list of therapeutic benefits, I could not help but think that RT can provide the same benefits. Go MT and RT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home