Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Are We Demanding Enough of RT Students?

I sent the message below out on ATRAnet last night. It has already drawn 3 lenghly responses -- so I thought I'd share it on the RT Blog. Here it is:

Hi RT Colleague,

Are we challenging RT students today? Arum and Roksa (2011) wrote in their book, Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses:

“In a typical semester…32% of the students did not take a single course with more than 40 pages of reading per week, and 50% did not take any course requiring more than 20 pages of writing over the semester. The average student spent only 12 to 13 hours per week studying – about half the time a full-time college student in 1960 spent studying…” (p. 70).

They also stated: “…37 percent of students reported spending less than five hours per week preparing for their courses” (p. 69). (That is 5 hours per week for all their courses!)

Reading this makes me wonder just how much RT professors are demanding of their students. If you are a professor and are assigning less than 40 pages per week in your course, and not assigning regular writing assignments, I hope you will reevaluate what you are expecting of your students.

Think about it. As a professor, do you not owe it to your students and to the profession to hold high expectations for your students?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

the analysis of bi-variate and all of those inferential are really important if you want to make something useful and effective. useful link to get more ideas on the thesis, research and term papers writing.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Kevin Fleeman said...

And then the final exam has knocking in our door. I do not think anything when the exam is really colse to me. website will give you helpful tips and you can ask any question related to the writing service.

8:54 PM  
Blogger aliyaa said...

I think if your doing efforts this is simply good. You have to fulfil the demands of students so people associating with you are happy. Also try this service if you want any help.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Abir said...

In the long run of life some things which you cannot ignore and it is the parents things which always help you to grow up and catch things. website for more help on your writing.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Anynomous said...

Sometimes the student are demanding the way they had to and it could be better if those demand are fill up for them. here that I love for the helpful information and its really amazing.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home