Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Research on Women at Work

I just read about research by an IU faculty member. The story was titled "IU Researchers Found that Women have Friends at Work but not the Networks to Get Ahead."

Professor Gail McGuire's research found that because women are often in lower-status positions, they don't have the connections to the decision makers who help emplyees in career advancement. McGuire is quoted as saying: "Rising to the top comes in part from informal networks and it helps if your network contains high-status people."

It seems to me that this research has something to say to women in RT, a female dominated profession. That would be to get to know those who occupy higher-ranking positions -- and more importantly have them know you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home