Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Lack of Ph.D. Faculty a Concern

I just communicated with a well known RT professor who indicated there is a real shortage of Ph.D. prepared persons to assume faculty positions. The lack of Ph.D. prepared faculty is not new to RT but it seems the situation is only getting worse.

I realize that over the years the profession has lost Ph.D. programs at major universities. First, Maryland and Oregon shut down their entire recreation and leisure studies programs, including RT/TR. Then Illinois and Georgia closed their RT/TR programs. Now Penn State has dropped its TR program. These kinds of losses are very hard to make up.

And yet the leading Ph.D. producing universities (e.g., Indiana, Temple) have not come forth to display any leadership that might lead to rectifying the situation. Neither has the major professional membership organization (i.e., ATRA) made any attempt to better the situation. Just where is the leadership that will help us overcome this extremely serious problem of a severe shortage of Ph.D. prepared faculty?

1 Comments:

Blogger 01TJ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home