Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Indy -- a Great Place! Attend Indy ATRA!

The 2011 ATRA Annual Conference will be held in Indianapolis. I'm really pleased ATRA is coming to Indianapolis next year.

While the city has had an (unfair) repulation as "Naptown," Indy today is a going place. Much to see and do.

Just considering museums, Indy has the Children's Museum (Best in the world!),Indy Motor Speedway (500 track & fun museum), Eiteljorg Museum of American Indian and Western Art (one of the best of its type),the Indianapolis Art Museum (world class), the NCAA Hall of Fame, and the Indiana State Museum. Several of these museums are located in the downtown area along a beautiful canal in the White River State Park. White River State Park also contains the Indianapolis Zoo (a world class zoo).

Shopping opportunities abound in Indy. Shopping downtown is easy at the Circle Center Mall. It is new and extensive. For more upscale shopping head out to Keystone at the Crossing.

There are some great restaurants in downtown Indy. The St. Elmo Steakhouse is not to be missed (but bring plenty of money!). Two of my personal favorite are the Slippary Noodle Inn (oldest tavern in Indiana)and Shapiros Delicatessen (a New York style delicatessen).

Also downtown are Conseco Fieldhouse (home of the Indiana Pacers) and Lucus Oil Stadium (home of last year's men's NCAA "Final Four" and this year's women's "Final Four," as well as home of the Colts). These sports facilities certainly are among the best in the world.

And best of all, Indianapolis is only 60 minutes from Bloomington (a great college town) and Indiana University (yes, with a great TR program!). I'm sure there will be opportunites for IU alums to reconnect with their alma mater.

I could go on and on about what Indy has to offer. Trust me, Indy today is a going place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home