Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Surprised with No Comment

Earlier this week I commented that I had read an article related to February being Black History Month and this made me recall a major figure in the history of receational therapy, an African/American by the name of Ira Hutchinson.

Ira was a real pioneer in RT. I had mentioned in my earlier post that he was active in the National Association of Recreational Therapists (NART) and later served as first president of NTRS and then the first executive secreatary for NTRS. He was a Founding Member of ATRA.

I also mentioned that Ira is featured in the video titled: "Portraits of Pioneers in Therapeutic Recreation and that this video and the entire 23 Recreation Therapy Videos are available at no cost from Indiana University via streaming at:
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3378

I am surprised that there have been no comments regarding the earlier post. I think that during Black History Month that RTs should celebrate the contributions to RT made by Ira and other Black leaders. Do you agree?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Sutherland said...

You just taught me something about one of our great founders! I was not aware of Ira's contributions.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home