Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Black History Month and Ira Hutchinson

In this morning's paper, I read an article related to February being Black History Month. Reading it made me recall a major figure in the history of receational therapy, an African/American by the name of Ira Hutchinson.

Ira was active in the National Association of Recreational Therapists (NART) and later served as first president of NTRS and then the first executive secreatary for NTRS. He was a Founding Member of ATRA.

To learn more about Ira or to have your students learn more about him, you can view an RTV video in which he is featured that highlights his contributions to our profession. The video is titled: "Portraits of Pioneers in Therapeutic Recreation."

This video and the entire 23 Recreation Therapy Videos are available at no cost from Indiana University via streaming at:
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3378

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home