Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reaction to Last Post

In my last post, I suggested that ATRA revisit its decision to not send a representative to the summit on allied health education to be held in Chicago in May. I appreciate Danny Pettry and Kelly Parker taking time to comment on the post. I'd like to react to Kelly's comment in this post.

Kelly stated I "discredited" the ATRA leaders in my post. I reread my post. It does not seem to me that I discredited anyone. I simply stated that I thought it was shortsighted for ATRA to not send anyone to the Summit and called for them to rethink their decision.

I do appreciate today's ATRA leaders but that doesn't mean that they should not be held accountable for their decisions or to be asked to reconsider their decisions when a member thinks they should.

I took "heat" as an ATRA board member and president. I often didn't like the criticism but it goes along with the job. In a democratic society many voices need to be heard.

Thanks again to Kelly for her comment. In the future, I will give extra attention to not coming across as wishing to "discredit" ATRA leaders -- but I will continue to voice my opinions to our leadership as I have for more than 45 years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Appreciate you brining attention to the summit. Wasn't aware of the summit or that we didn't have a RT there until you posted your comments.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home