Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, January 18, 2010

My Support for the ATRA Board

Following Kelly's comments about my view of the ATRA leaders (see yesterday's post), I believe I should publically acknowledge my support of the ATRA Board.

To begin, I'm exceeding appreciative of these RTs for giving of themselves to provide leadership for our profession. Having served as a member of the ATRA Board and as ATRA president, I know the time and energy that those in leadership roles contribute.

It has not been my pleasure to really develop a strong personal relationship with our president, Missy Armstrong, M.S., CTRS. I do know however her reputation as a long-time contributor to our profession. I sincerely believe that she has much to offer and is giving it her best effort in serving as our president.

I have gotten to know president-elect Mary Ann Aquadro, Ph.D., CTRS, through ATRA activities. I know she has worked hard and has been a positive force within ATRA. The other officers, Heather Sedletzeck, CTRS, and Lisa Morgan, CTRS, are highly regarded by those who have spoken with me. Heather's service as a member of the Recreation Therapists of Indiana (my ATRA affilitate) is greatly valued by fellow Hoosier RTs.

I must admit that I don't know board members Stephanie Courtney, M.S., CTRS or Kari Kensinger, Ph.D., CTRS,very well -- but what I do know is certainly positive. The other two members of the BOD, Tim Passmore, Ed.D, CTRS, and Ramon Zabriskie, Ph.D., CTRS, I know much better. In fact, Ramon was a student of mine at Indiana University -- and an outstanding student he was! Ramon has gone on to gain a reputation as an outstanding professor at BYU. Tim has been a prominent worker on behalf of our profession for a number of years and provided leadership for the Educators' Conference held last year.

Thus, from my personal knowledge, I firmly believe that we have an excellent group of individuals in leadership roles within our national organization. I wish them nothing but the very best in the coming year.

I would encourage all RTs to become ATRA members if they are not now members and for all members to support our professional association. I will continue to support ATRA as I have since becoming a Founding Member.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Sutherland said...

Thanks for your kind comments Dave. BTW, I am also a Board member (CAC Chair position). Just had to give you a bit of hassle :-)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann Aquadro said...

Dave,
I just want to express my appreciation for your support of ATRA and the ATRA Board. While serving on the Board since 2006 I have been totally impressed by the knowledge, expertise and dedication of all Board members with whom I have had the privilege to serve. There are obviously many challenges before the Board, the Association and the profession. However, with the passion that exists for our profession, I am confident that we will continue to have highly qualified individuals step forward to serve and the challenges will continue to be met with great success. I personally want to thank you and all individuals who have stepped forward to serve ATRA and the profession!! I look forward to continued success as ATRA and the profession move forward!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home