Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Activity Therapy Conference -- and Concept

Did you know that the Michigan Activity Therapy Conference has been going on for 52 years? I must admit that I knew nothing about it until I saw it listed in the TR Directory Newsletter.

I am intrigued by the idea of an activity therapy conference involving not only RTs but therapists from sister professions such as occupational therapy, music therapy, and art therapy. What a great concept.

It makes my mind spin to think of the possibilities that could result if RTs, OTs, MTs and art therapists formed a professional organization. How about the American Activity Therapy Association (AATA)?

When I first entered the profession, RT was a department in the Activity Therapy Service of the state hospital, along with music therapy, occupational therapy, and vocational/industrial therapy. I've always thought that the concept of activity therapy was a good one.

What do you think? Any comments?

1 Comments:

Blogger Pisces said...

I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Braunfels Mobile PT

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home