Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

"Professional Ethics" RTV Video

Have you viewed any of the RTV videos? Remember that to do so you simply have to go the the RTV website and click on the video you wish to view. The address is https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3378

In earlier posts I discussed two RTV videos, "Clinical Supervision" and "Portraits of Pioneers in Therapeutic Recreation: Parts 1 and 2." Today I want to discuss the RTV video titled "Professional Ethics."
"Professional Ethics" features ethicist Meg Gaffney, M.D., of the IU School of Medicine. Dr. Gaffney teaches ethics to medical students at the IU School of Medicine.

I would have to say that "Professional Ethics" far exceeds what I expected when we first conceptualized the video. I believe the final result was very good -- largely thanks to the excellent information provided by Dr. Gaffney. There is much in the video for both students and professionals.

The running time for "Professional Ethics" is just over 36 minutes. It defines the term professional ethics, establishes the importance of ethics for recreational therapists, and reviews ethical principles related to confidentiality, autonomy, beneficience, justice, nonmalificence, and fidelity.

The video provides an excellent means to introduce the topic of professional ethics to undergraduate or graduate students and can be used by recreational therapists to initiate discussions of ethics in clinical agencies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home