Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Person-First Language Factsheet Available

I just read a new factsheet published by NCPAD on person-first language. While it is directed to fitness professionals, the information could be useful to recreation professionals who work with persons with disabilities. I thought it might be used by instructors of university courses on inclusive recreation.

The information could also prove helpful to students studying to become recreational therapists.

Here is the information provided by NCPAD on the factsheet:

NCPAD New Document:
Person-First Language and Disability Awareness: Interaction Tips for the Fitness Professional

This brand new factsheet from NCPAD gives a brief but helpful overview of the do's and don'ts for working and communicating with people with disabilities in the fitness arena. It includes some basic facts and general information as well as disability specific guidelines for working with people with physical, visual, hearing, speech, and cognitive disabilities.

To read this new NCPAD factsheet, please go to: http://www.ncpad.org/exercise/fact_sheet.php?sheet=680.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home