Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Read Any Good Self-Help Books Lately?

The January, 2008, issue of APA’s Monitor on Psychology (Vol. 39, No.1, pp.26, 27)contains an article that I found interesting – and you may too. Written by Laurie Meyers, the article is titled “Recommended Reading: Psychologists Share the Contents of Their Self-Help Shelves.”

The article points out that 85% of psychologists recommend self-help books to their clients. But which books should be recommended?

The article answers this question by listing titles of self-help books used by selected psychologists. My personal favorites were those chosen by Simon Rego of the Montefiore Medical Center in New York City.

Rego’s selections generally follow principles of cognitive behavioral therapy. They include Addis and Martell’s “Overcoming Depression One Step at a Time: The New Behavioral Activation Approach to Getting Your Life Back.” This book’s focus is on doing activities that give clients pleasure and accomplishment, starting with earlier ones. Rego has stated that ‘It’s amazing how when you start doing something productive, your motivation will increase.” RTs will quickly recognize athat this quote could have come from one of them.

I really liked his selection of “Overcoming Depression….” Perhaps this is because it offers support for my Health Protection/Health Protection Model of RT practice. Certainly Rego’s comment that “Activity often precedes motivation, rather than follows it” provides strong support for the activity portion of my model.

Rego went on to name other self-help books he recommends including: “The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques to Overcome Your Fears;” “Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to Gain Control of Your OCD;” and “The 60-Second Shrink: 101 Strategies for Staying Sane in a Crazy World.”

It would be fun to hear from RTs as to what self-help book they and their clients have found to be helpful. If you have any books you particularly like, I hope you will comment!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chrissy said...

I have lived with my depression for many years. I've tried pills, but really, the only thing that works is reading.
I recently purchased this book called I.M.Heart. Since reading it, I've learned so much about myself. I've learned to open my heart, live with less anger (a daily challenge for me) and learn to boost up my self confidence.
This book is about feelings – being aware of them, accepting them and working with them. Something that I think even people that aren't under depression could benefit from.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home