Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Research on Exercise and Depression

Exercise May Help Relieve Depression: Exercise may help relive depression in women for whom other treatments failed to work, a small Italian study published in the journal Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health indicates.

Depressive symptoms in women who participated in the study’s supervised exercise program were significantly reduced compared with a control group of women who didn’t exercise but just took medication. Among other reasons, the finding might be attributed to exercise’s effects on certain brain chemicals associated with depression. (Reuters, 7/19/07)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home