Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Alcohol Abuse is Common, Treatment Isn't

About one-third of Americans abuse or become dependent on alcohol at some point during their lives, although only about one-quarter of these people ever receive treatment, a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicates. Columbia University Medical Center researchers found that the groups with the highest prevalence rates were men, whites, Native Americans, younger and unmarried adults, and people with relatively low incomes (From a Reuters report on 7/3/07).

RT can play a major role in the treatment of alcoholism by helping clients to develop healthy activity patterns and develop healthy relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home