Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, June 08, 2007

ATRA Announces Huston's Resignation

The news release below was put out by ATRA today. The release deals with Ann Huston's resignation as ATRA's ED. I've known Ann for a number of years and have appreciated all she has done for ATRA and our profession. Ann is the only ED that ATRA has ever had. She began when I was ATRA president so I was the first president that Ann worked with. I will miss Ann and wish her the very best.

The news release follows:

(Alexandria, VA) ATRA has announced the resignation of Ann Huston, Executive Director. Ms. Huston will be leaving the Executive Director position as of August 5, 2007. In a statement, ATRA President Sandra K. Negley said, “It is with regret that we accept Ms. Huston’s resignation. We are grateful for her unending commitment to the association.”

In 1994, Ms. Huston was selected as the first Executive Director of ATRA. In the last 13 years she has been instrumental in the growth of ATRA: building a national office with an outstanding national staff in Alexandra, Virginia, securing legislative representation for ATRA on Capitol Hill, developing coalitions with other healthcare organizations, leading the development of many ATRA continuing education and professional development programs including the successful ATRA Academy, and much more. During her tenure, Ms. Huston was responsible for creating a national presence for ATRA and the recreational therapy profession in Washington DC.

The ATRA Recreational Therapy Medicare Project is the result of Ms. Huston’s vision and passion for access of recreational therapy services and her incredible advocacy work. Her greatest desire is to see legislation in the next year making access for thousands of clients a reality.

On behalf of the ATRA Board of Directors and the ATRA membership, President Negley stated, “We wish to thank Ann for her commitment, dedication and on-going sacrifices for ATRA and the profession of recreational therapy. We wish her the very best in her future endeavors.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Sutherland said...

What a sad day :( I must say that this announcement came as a complete surprise to me. I can only assume that Ann gave this considerable thought and it is the right decision for her. I wish her all the best!!!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home