Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Benefits of Daily Physical Activity

A list of benefits of physical activity appear on the American Heart Association web site, along with other information for getting started exercising and for eating well. I've listed the benefits below. The address of the American Heart Association web site is www.americanheart.org/start

The Benefits of Daily Physical Activity

Reduces the risk of heart disease by improving blood circulation throughout the body
Keeps weight under control
Improves blood cholesterol levels
Prevents and manages high blood pressure
Prevents bone loss
Boosts energy level
Helps manage stress
Releases tension
Improves the ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep well
Improves self-image
Counters anxiety and depression and increases enthusiasm and optimism
Increases muscle strength, increasing the ability to do other physical activities
Provides a way to share an activity with family and friends
Establishes good heart-healthy habits in children and counters the conditions (obesity, high blood pressure, poor cholesterol levels, poor lifestyle habits, etc.) that lead to heart attack and stroke later in life
In older people, helps delay or prevent chronic illnesses and diseases associated with aging and maintains quality of life and independence longe

1 Comments:

Blogger Maryann said...

Thanks for the resource! I will use this in my ADL group!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home