Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Exercise Increases Brain Size of Older Adults

Researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have found that the brain size of older adults can be increased through an aerobic exercise program. The findings that an exercise intervention can increase brain volume agree with the researchers' 2003 study that showed a correlaton between physical fitness and brain tissue loss in older adults. The study was published in the the November issue of the Journal of Gerontology by Arthur F. Kramer and colleagues.

Thus, it pays for older to maintain an aerobic fitness program in order not to experience brain tissue loss -- and to actually show gains in brain size. Swimming, biking and walking offer means to anti-aging in the brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home