Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Interesting Article on Clinical Doctorates

An interesting article recently appeared in the Chronicle of Higher Education titled "A Look at Clinical Doctorates." The article discusses clinical doctorates in such fields as audiology, OT, and PT. It suggests the clinical doctorate programs may produce revenue streams for universities but may do little more.

It would seem to me that the clinical doctorate programs in OT and PT could provide RT with an opening. If RT can produce really well prepared M.S. graduates, they may be preferred by employers over clinical doctorates in OT or PT due to being less costly. Also, maintaining the Ph.D. credential for university faculty in RT (and not watering down the quality of scholarship by having those trained as clinical doctorates hired as university faculty as may happen in OT and PT) could result in the strongest university academic programs being in RT.

If you wish to read the Chronicle article the address is http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i46/46b01201.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home