Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Indiana is more than basketball! Our State Poem.

Yes, we Hoosiers, whether RTs or not, love our basketball. But our love for our home state goes beyond basketball. Here is a poem that reflects some of our feelings:

Indiana

God crowned her hills with beauty,
Gave her lakes and winding streams,
Then He edged them all with woodlands
As the setting for our dreams.

Lovely are her moonlit rivers,
Shadowed by the sycamores,
Where the fragrant winds of Summer
Play along the willowed shores.

I must roam those wooded hillsides,
I must head the native call,
For a pegan voice within me
Seems to answer to it all.

I must walk where squirrls scamper
Down a rustic old rail fence,
Where a choir of birds is singing
In the woodland...green and dense.

I must learn more of my homeland
For it's paradise to me,
There's no haven quite as peaceful,
There's no place I'd rather be.

Indiana...is a garden
Where the seeds of peace have grown,
Where each tree, and vine, and flower
Has a beauty...all its own.

Lovely as the fields and meadows,
That reach out to hills that rise
Where the dreamy Wabash River
Wanders on...through paradise.

By Arthur Franklin Mapes, Kendallville, Indiana. Adopted as Indiana's official poem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home