Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, February 10, 2012

RT Faculty Openings -- But Where are Applicants?

I replied to an ATRAnet listserv message from Professor Chuck Killingworth in which Chuck asked how many RT faculty positions are being advertised. This is what Chuck replied to me:

"Hi, Dave! Thanks for responding. This raises, again, the question:
what is going to happen to RT/TR education? There are at least 7 universities in the process of seeking to hire someone in our area with a CTRS credential. I wonder how many eligible, potential applicants are there and what the pool is for this area?"

Chuck is absolutely right in asking the profession about what is going on in terms of the preparation of Ph.D.s to assume faculty positions in RT. The lack of an adequate number of well prepared Ph.D.s should be a grave concern for the entire profession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home