Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Rheumatoid Arthritis & Physical Activity Research

MedPage Today contained an article titled "Many RA Patients Inactive Despite Benefits of Exercise." The study reported on 2 major findings: (1)More than 40% of adults with rheumatoid arthritis were physically inactive at the start of the study; (2) 53% of participants lacked strong motivation for physical activity and 49% lacked strong beliefs in the benefits of activity.

The study certainly has implications for RTs working with clients with rheumatoid arthritis. It would be good if RTs did research on their programs for persons with arthritis.

The primary source for the study; Lee, J., et al. (2012) The public health impact of risk factors for physical inactivity in adults with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research; DOI: 10.1002/acr.21582.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home