Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lessons Learned Book Review in TRJ

The most recent issue of Therapeutic Recreation Journal contains a book review of Lessons Learned: An Open Letter to Recreational Therapy Students and Practitioners (Sagamore Publishing) by Professor Terry Long of Northwest Missouri State University.

I had promised to share excepts from Dr. Long's review in posts on the RT Blog. Today I thought I'd share the opening paragraph of the review of Lessons Learned. It follows:

"David Austin's latest book is a unique collection of 69 'lessons' written directly to recreation students and practitioners. Each lesson addresses a different topic with a brief 1-3 page mixture of useful information and thoughtful insight from the author. As a whole, the collection reflects a well rounded discussion of some of the most critical concepts for any practicing recreation therapist to understand and utilize. 'Lessons Learned,' which is largely grounded in Austin's professional experiences and discoveries over the past four decades, provides both clarity and wisdom in a reader friendly fashion."

Needless to say, I really appreciate Terry's kind words about Lessons Learned. I plan to share other excepts from his review in future posts on the RT Blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home