Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Clients Dealing with Heat

With the hot spell across the nation, RTs should be thinking about helping clients to deal with the heat. Those who work with older clients particularly need to be concerned about their clients as NIH reports that older persons lose some ability to adapt to the heat.

If you suspect someone is suffering from the heat, NIH recommends:

- move them into an air conditioned place
- urge them to lie down and rest
- remove or loosen tight fitting or heavy clothing
- encourage them to drink water or juices if they are able to drink without choking, avoid alcohol and caffeine
- apply cold water, ice packs or cold wet clothes to the skin
- get medical assistance as soon as possible

These NIH tips would seem to be good ones to apply with any age of clients who are suffering from the heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home