Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tai Chi Helps Prevent Falls, Aids Mental Health

MedPage Today published a report explaining that tai chi appears to be helpful in preventing falls and in improving the psychological health of older persons. However, negative findings for the overall health effects were found when tai chi was used with clients with rheumatoid arthritis and cancer.

The report was based on four systematic reviews of the effects of tai chi that appeared in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in an article titled "Systematic reviews of tai chi: An overview" (2011; DOL: 10.1136/bjsm.2010.080622).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home