Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Resources on Ira Hutchinson

As you probably know, RT pioneer Ira Hutchinson recently passed away. Black History Month may be an appropriate time to pay tribute to Ira for his contributions to our profession.

If you are an educator, you may wish to have your students view the video on Ira made as a part of Indiana University’s Recreation Therapy Video Project (RTV Project). The RTV video featuring Ira is available via streaming from the IU Library and is titled “Portraits of Pioneers in Therapeutic Recreation.” Ira’s portrait is the second in Part I of the video.

A second source of information on Ira appears in Austin, Dattilo, and McCormick’s Conceptual Foundations for Therapeutic Recreation (2002, Venture Publishing). See a tribute to Ira in Chapter 18, “Leaders in Therapeutic Recreation,” authored by David Park (pp. 335 – 336).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home