Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Get Fredrickson's Positivity

I was at Borders yesterday and found that Barbara Fredrickson"s book, Positivity, is now out in paperback. I would urge all RTs to get a copy because it takes her positive psychology research and puts it into useful form -- that can easily be applied in recreational therapy.

Because it is in paperback, the cost of the book in only $14.00 but if you go to Borders in the next few days you may be able to take advantage of the "educators' discount" promotion. Using my educators' discount, I paid only $10.49, with tax, for the book.

While I would categorize Positivity as a psychology book, my Borders had it in the self-help section. I hope you will find it and read it as it is a great book that has much to say to RTs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Will order that book from amazon soon. regret to say that it is not avaliable on amazon's kindle yet.

Read an interesting book recently called, 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot by Richard Wiseman. It was released in 2010. Basically, Wiseman read tons of the best-selling most popular self-help books and then he sought out scientific research to support what self-help authors are finding. some of the advice provided in self-help books are not effective according to research.

here is an example: telling kids "they're smart" is not always good because the kids who were told they're smart would select easier math problems compared to the children who were praised for "effort and hard work."

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home