Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Commendable Effort by ATRA

I just received an email message from ATRA with several updates. One part of the message dealt with job loss. I believe ATRA's effort to reach out to members is admirable. The message follows:

Dear ATRA Members:

In these difficult times, the ATRA Board hears that some of its members have lost their job due to a reduction in force. These events concern our Board and the ATRA Association. As the national professional Association representing recreational therapy/therapeutic recreation, we would like to ask that if you or anyone you know has lost their job due to the economic times, regulatory policy, or other hardship, please let ATRA know the story. While we cannot create positions, we may be able to offer networking support or a listening ear.

ATRA is concerned for the welfare of our members, tell us your story and we will try to reach out. Please contact the national office at 601-450-ATRA (2872) or via email. One of our Board members will be in touch to listen to your challenge and to explore a means in which we may assist.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Feel that is really nice of the association.

We've been pretty fortunate here in West Virginia based on my experience. I'm not aware of any facilities that have cut Rec Therapy services/ staff.

I'm aware that the state Rehab Center outside of Charleston, W.Va. had closed about 4 years ago. All staff there lost positions - including the rec therapist.

Marshall University in Huntington, W.Va. closed their TR degree program in 2003.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home