Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

RT is probably more to the point...

Below is a post I made today on ATRA's Members' Forum:

In my continuing quest to locate information on RT vs. TR I came across an interview with Dr. Bernath Eugene Phillips (early advocate for our profession) by Jeff Mansfield.

In this interview Jeff asked Bernie which term he preferred, recreational therapy or therapeutic recreation.

This is what Dr. Phillips replied: “Well, I think recreational therapy really is probably more to the point because therapeutic recreation, anything can be therapeutic or not therapeutic and what's therapeutic mean?”

The complete interview, titled “My Dinner with Bernie,” may be found on Charlie Dixon’s TR/RT Directory.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

I just read the association newsletter with the comments from members regarding the name change. I found it to be very interesting. I felt it has a strong favor for the change.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home