Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Should ATRA be ARTA?

On February 2nd I posted information about ATRA changing to ARTA.

I mentioned that there is a growing movement to change the name of the American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA) to the American Recreational Therapy Association (ARTA).

In that post I put forth reasons for changing the name to ARTA, including being congruent with ATRA's vision and mission statements and the term recreational therapy setting boundaries for the profession – so the organization is not trying to be “all things to all people.”

Past national leader Dr. Jerry Kelley commented on the post. In his comment he strongly supported the name change and indicated it should have been made 25 years ago when ATRA was founded. I appreciate Jerry sharing his view and hope that others may choose to comment on the name change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home